5 Jun 2010

Choking dog saved after owner called 111

7:36 pm on 5 June 2010

A bulldog that choked on rice on Saturday morning is alive after being saved over the phone by a Fire Service communicator.

The Kaikohe owner of the dog phoned 111 asking for help because his dog had stopped breathing.

The Fire Service's Northern Communications Centre says staff contacted an emergency vet and, while seeking expert opinion, used Google to save the dog's life.

Senior communicator Belinda Leary told the owner to treat the dog like a choking child and place his hand to form a fist between the dog's lower tummy and rib cage.

After several attempts, the dog coughed up the rice and started to breathe normally again.