2 Jan 2018

Asbestos clean-up underway after Wellington fire

8:58 am on 2 January 2018

Efforts are being made to clean up asbestos released from a central Wellington building destroyed in a fire.

A two-storey building in central Wellington was totally demolished by a fire in the early hours of this morning.

Fire and emergency were called to the fire on Wigan Street, off Taranaki Street, about half past one.

The building housed a digital printing business.

Newtown senior station officer Paul Smith said when the fire service got to the scene flames were coming through the building's roof.

He said it's too early to say what might've caused the blaze.

A fire investigator will be at the scene at 9.30 this morning to establish where the fire started, and the cause.

Mr Smith said no one was injured and no one had to be evacuated from any buildings.

Fire and emergency were called to the blaze on Wigan Street, off Taranaki Street, about half past one this morning.

A Wellington City Council spokesman said asbestos was in the roof of the building.

Specialist contractors have been called in to clean up the street and surrounding area as much as possible.

He said firefighters hosed down parked cars and nearby apartment residents are being asked to wash off their balconies.

The site is too hot for the remains of the building to be removed.