31 Mar 2009

Dog owners on alert over Nelson river neurotoxin

11:42 am on 31 March 2009

Dog owners in Nelson have been warned to keep their pets out of the Maitai River after another case of algae poisoning.

The blue-green cyanobacteria which was found in the river in February caused a dog to die suddenly.

Nelson City Council believes the algae has returned because a dog had a fit after drinking from the river.

The council says dogs are particularly susceptible to cyanobacteria because they eat the algae.