10 Apr 2009

Rescued hunter not suffering cyanide poisoning

6:31 am on 10 April 2009

The Department of Conservation worker who was rescued from a central North Island forest park after saying he had ingested cyanide paste has been found not to have cyanide poisoning.

The possum hunter radioed for help on Thursday and was rescued from the Whirinaki Forest Park, south-east of Rotorua.

DoC spokesperson Steve Brightwell says medical professionals have ruled out cyanide as the cause of the man's illness.

He says says the hunter's illness is now a private matter between the man and his medical practitioners.