A man is seriously injured after he threw a four-year-old girl out of the window of a burning house in Kaikoura.
Chief fire officer Ian Walker says the fire started in a pan after a man who had been cooking fell asleep on Wednesday night.
Mr Walker says the fire woke the man, who threw the girl out of a window before running through flames to escape.
The man suffered serious burns and smoke inhalation. The girl suffered shock and minor smoke inhalation.
They were taken to Christchurch Hospital on Wednesday.