2 Jul 2009

Family escapes fire after warning by dog

1:46 pm on 2 July 2009

A Northland family has a pitbull terrrier to thank after escaping a fire that destroyed a house near Kaikohe.

The Fire Service says the fire on Tuesday night appears to have started in the bathroom - where a candle was left burning.

Fire Safety Officer Craig Bain says the old house had smoke alarms - but none were working because the batteries were flat.

If it had not been for the dog barking and pawing at the door - he says the family might not have made it out alive.