A 29-year-old man has died in a house fire on Sunday in Whangarei.
The fire started in the kitchen of the house in the suburb of Otangarei and police are not treating the blaze as suspicious. They say it appears the man died from smoke inhalation.
The Fire Service says the home was well alight when they arrived at the property about 1am on Sunday.
In Dunedin, five fire appliances quickly contained a blaze at a commercial premises on Kaikorai Valley Rd on Sunday morning.
The blaze, which started some time before 2.40am, had spread to the roof of the building.