22 Sep 2009

Morning Report: local papers

10:39 am on 22 September 2009

Tuesday's papers: John Key goes to New York for high-level talks; a former MP faces criminal charges over an alleged pokie scam; future insecure for unsafe adventure tourism operators.

New Zealand Herald

The paper says Afghanistan will be high on the agenda when Prime Minister John Key meets United Nations and Nato leaders in New York this week.

Mr Key confirmed yesterday that New Zealand's SAS combat force had arrived to rejoin the war in Afghanistan.

Dominion Post

The lead story reports that a former MP and a prominent Auckland businessman are facing criminal charges over a $1.8m pokie scam that police say was a "fraudulent money-go-round". Suppression orders prevent naming of the parties.

The Press

The Press reports that unsafe adventure tourism operators will be shut down after the Government has completed a review of the multi-million-dollar industry.

Otago Daily Times

Dunedin's daily also leads with the announcement of a review of adventure tourism industry safety standards, which it says has been welcomed by Queenstown industry operators and greeted with relief by the grieving family of Emily Jordan, who drowned on a river-boarding trip last year.