A Whangarei boy whose skull was fractured in an assault at school is being sent to Auckland for surgery.
The boy had his brow-bone and nose broken at Whangarei Boys' High School on Tuesday.
Police have charged another boy with wounding with intent to injure.
The injured boy's mother says her son, aged 14, is being transferred to Middlemore hospital for surgery to remove a piece of brow bone that is lodged in a sinus cavity.
She says doctors have said the boy is lucky to have escaped brain damage and the family is horrified that the attack happened in the supposedly safe environs of a school asembly hall.
Whangarei Boys High School has confirmed the other boy had a minder at school last year because of behaviour problems - but had not been assessed for ongoing support this year.