A high school student who received burns to 35% of his body after a classroom accident involving methylated spirits is in a stable condition following surgery, Middlemore Hospital in Auckland says.
The Waiuku college pupil was airlifted to hospital from his school, south of Auckland, on Tuesday morning with burns to his chest, arms and legs.
The incident happened just before 10am in a technical workshop.
A hospital spokesperson says the student has partial to superficial burns.
Three other pupils were also injured. Two others suffered lesser injuries, while a fourth person is in shock.
Both the school and the Department of Labour are investigating.