3 May 2010

Morning Report: local papers

6:02 pm on 3 May 2010

Monday's headlines: concern about the information children are sharing on the internet; number of cruise ships coming to New Zealand tipped to surge; schoolboy cricket team in India from Wellington reported to be safe.

NZ Herald

The New Zealand Herald reports almost half of all New Zealanders now use online social networks but many are concerned about the information children are sharing on the internet. The paper says a survey by the Privacy Commission reveals nearly 45% of New Zealanders have online profiles - most on Facebook - up from 32% last year and 14% three years ago.

The Herald also reports on a car bomb found in Times Square on Sunday, which closed the heart of New York.

Dominion Post

The Dominion Post reports Wellington property tycoon Terry Serepisos has sold one of his Ferrari convertible sports cars.

The paper says the sale of a 2001 Ferrari 360 Spider came days before a Wellington City Council deadline for Mr Serepisos to tackle a rates bill.

But Mr Serepisos told the paper that the Ferrari sale had nothing to do with his cash-flow situation - rather, that he had two Ferraris and was not driving the one he sold.

The Dominion Post also reports the parents of a Wellington schoolboy cricket team in India have been reassured their children are safe after a terrorism warning for New Delhi.

The Press

The Press says mystery surrounds the disappearance of a woman whose shoes were found near her crashed car on the Port Hills. The paper says Emma Margaret Campbell, 29, has not been seen since leaving her flat in Bryndwr early on Saturday.

And the paper reports that a Hurunui College girl, aged 16, was among three young people killed in another crash near Christchurch on Saturday.

ODT

The Otago Daily Times reports a surge in the number of cruise ships heading to New Zealand is expected to inject an estimated $40 million per year into the Dunedin economy.

The paper says cruise-ship passenger numbers were expected to increase by almost a third this season. It quotes Cruise New Zealand chief executive Craig Harris as saying New Zealand should prepare itself for a "big step change".