26 Jul 2010

Trains run on new rail line into Wellington

1:27 pm on 26 July 2010

Wellington's $500 million rail upgrade reached another milestone on Monday with the opening of a third main-line into the city's main railway station.

KiwiRail spokesperson Ruth Larsen says the signalling systems were trialled during the weekend, and the new third line was used on several Hutt Valley services on Monday morning.

Previously, with only one line in and out, trains often had to wait at the entrance to the railyards for another train to leave. Ms Larsen says some trains will still have to wait, but congestion overall will be reduced.

KiwiRail says three-quarters of the work on the upgrade, which began about two years ago, has been completed and the all work will be finished by mid-2011.