25 Sep 2010

Public health warning on sea slugs remains in force

8:01 am on 25 September 2010

As the school holidays begin, the Auckland Regional Public Health Service is reminding families heading to the beach to keep well away from toxic sea slugs that have been washing up along the shoreline.

Fifteen dogs became sick last year, and five died, after eating the grey sea slugs.

The slugs, which contain tetrodotoxin, have been reported across Auckland's eastern beaches from Okahu Bay to Kohimarama.

Medical Officer of Health Dr Simon Baker says parents must supervise children and pets on all beaches, not just those bordering the Hauraki Gulf.

He says anyone who finds a sea slug should mark the spot and alert their local council.