23 Nov 2010

Queenstown gas leak found

3:35 pm on 23 November 2010

A gas leak that forced the evacuation of a downtown Queenstown retail building was caused by a faulty barbecue.

Fire Service personnel found the barbecue in a room inside the building on Tuesday afternoon.

There was apparently a fault in the valve of the barbecue's gas bottle, which was turned on.

The building on the corner of Gorge and Robins roads has since been declared safe.

About 50 workers were evacuated on Tuesday morning.