Auckland Mayor Len Brown has received a report about the demolition of the Palace Hotel, but will not divulge its contents because of pending legal action.
The 124-year-old building was torn down last week after large cracks appeared during renovations.
A spokesperson for Mr Brown says a preliminary 10-page report by council staff was received on Monday. He says it is being held back because of a threat of legal action by the building's owners.
The owners were converting the building into an 18-room brothel, due to open in time for next year's Rugby World Cup. They insist the building could have been saved instead of being demolished.