29 Dec 2010

Boy severely burned by fall into hot pool

8:07 pm on 29 December 2010

The burns suffered by an eight-year-old boy who fell into a thermal hot pool at Rotorua on Sunday are said to be severe.

A duty manager at Middlemore Hospital says the child has been in its intensive care unit since Sunday night. He is in a serious but stable condition.

The Rotorua District Council is warning visitors to take care at Kuirau Park, where the accident occurred.

The council's parks and recreation manager, Garry Page, is urging witnesses to come forward so the council can investigate further.

Mr Page says the council has checked the safety fences around the pools and he is confident that they are all up, and that there are warning signs by them.