Residents of Kaeo are cautiously optimistic they will soon receive a $500,000 Government payment for flood prevention work that is more than two years overdue.
Rain from Cyclone Wilma flooded the Far North town for the fourth time in four years last Friday night.
The money was pledged by the former Labour Government to lift or shift houses in the areas of highest risk.
Northland Regional Council says it put forward a proposal to the Ministry of Civil Defence last year and had no formal response until this week.
Chairman Craig Brown says he has spoken to Civil Defence Minister John Carter and feels confident the money will be received shortly.
He says the latest flood reinforces the need for the money to help protect residents.