Efforts to track down New Zealanders in Japan continue but so far there are no reports of any casualties.
Foreign Affairs Minister Murray McCully says efforts are underway to track down the 850 New Zealanders registered with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) as being in Japan.
He says the numbers still missing are constantly changing but they are expected to fall as more people are contacted.
Mr McCully says he knows of no New Zealanders who were in the worst-affected areas and so far there are no New Zealand casualties.
Mr McCully says officials are giving priority to locating those in the Sendai area.
New Zealand's ambassador in Tokyo, Ian Kennedy, has previously said that, in total, at least 6000 New Zealanders may be in the country.
Mr Kennedy told Morning Report on Monday a consular staff member had been sent to Sendai, the city closest to the quake's epicentre and another stationed at Narita airport in Tokyo, in case New Zealanders need travel assistance.
MFAT says additional consular staff have arrived in Japan to provide assistance.
Mr McCully says relatives of anyone in Japan who makes contact should ring the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on 0800 432 111.