The Ministry of Foreign Affairs says it has now reached one of the two New Zealanders it was looking for in Japan.
Earlier on Tuesday the ministry said it had specific concerns for the safety of two New Zealanders there.
On Tuesday afternoon one of them, a man, got in touch with consular staff.
But the ministry says it is still making enquiries about the other New Zealander, also understood to be a man.
The ministry is refusing to give further details, but has reiterated it still has no reports of casualties or injuries.
It says 1571 New Zealanders have confirmed to the ministry they are safe and well.
The ministry has also repeated its advice against all non-essential travel to Tokyo and the tsunami-affected areas in Japan's north-east.