25 Mar 2011

NZ Cricket confident of player safety at World Cup

6:36 pm on 25 March 2011

New Zealand Cricket says the Black Caps feel very safe at the World Cup on the Indian sub-continent, despite reports a terrorist attack had been planned for the tournament.

Pakistan's interior minister Rehman Malik says a serious attempt at carrying out a terrorist attack was foiled and an arrest was made last week.

New Zealand Cricket chief executive Justin Vaughan says intelligence officials have been keeping teams well informed about possible attacks.

Mr Vaughan says he has heard terror threats have been made by the Pakistani-based militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba - the organisation believed to be behind the Mumbai bombings in 2008.

"There has been some information in regard to a non-specific threat to the tournament, but certainly not location specific.

"We saw a significant increase in security around the Black Caps in the last two weeks that coincided with their arrival in Mumbai. We had partners of the team accompanying the side at that time and they all felt very safe."

New Zealand play South Africa in the quarterfinals in Bangladesh on Friday.

Black Caps captain Dan Vettori expects a low, slow wicket and is putting his faith in the top order batsmen to deliver at Sher-e Bangla National Stadium in Dhaka.

If New Zealand win, it will be the sixth time they have qualified for the World Cup semifinals.