A former director of the failed finance company Bridgecorp has lodged a formal appeal against the decision not to grant him legal aid.
Robert Roest, along with another former director Rodney Petricevic, has applied for taxpayer-funded legal aid to pay for his defence against charges relating to the collapse of the company in 2007.
The collapse left investors owed more than $450 million.
The pair appeared in the Auckland District Court on Tuesday afternoon.
A lawyer for Mr Petricevic said the Legal Services Agency has only just received his client's appeal despite its being sent earlier this month.
Mr Roest's lawyer says his application has been declined and they are waiting the outcome of a review.
The two men will appear again on 10 May.