5 Apr 2011

Fatal fire probably caused by smoking in bed

11:05 am on 5 April 2011

The Fire Service says a house fire that killed a woman in Rotorua was likely to have been caused by someone smoking in bed.

Two fire crews were sent to the blaze in Pukehangi at around 1.30am on Monday where they found one person dead in the house.

Five people who were inside when the fire started, and a neighbour, were taken to hospital for treatment for smoke inhalation.

Assistant Area Commander Nigel Richards does not believe the fire is suspicious.

He says most causes have been ruled out, except for smoking.

Mr Richards says the death is a tragedy especially as there were no smoke alarms in the home.

He says the fire should be a reminder to the public to install alarms.