1 Jun 2011

Company fined $80,000 after workers injured

9:42 pm on 1 June 2011

Cleaning company Ecowize has been fined $80,000 because safety measures were not in place when two employees were badly injured.

The Hawera District Court was told the workers were injured in two separate incidents in August last year at a meat processing plant in Hawera.

One worker suffered serious burns when a hose she was using burst and sprayed her with hot water.

Another employee suffered chemical burns to his eyes when a chemical solution splashed out of a bucket and into his face.

The Department of Labour's service manager in New Plymouth, Jo Pugh, says in the first incident the company did not maintain its equipment properly, and in the second inadequate equipment was used.