The Bridgecorp trial could be drawn out until March next year, following further disruptions caused by changes in defence lawyers.
Five former heads of the finance company are facing criminal charges after Bridgecorp collapsed in 2007 owing $450 million.
The trial has been plagued by a series of delays, mostly associated with changes to counsel and applications for legal aid.
On Wednesday, a lawyer for one defendant withdrew and was replaced.
Justice Venning issued a memorandum saying the adjournments have been unfortunate.
He said the defendants have been forced to reconsider their representation because money provided by legal insurance has been exhausted.
He said the trial will start on 25 October, as previously decided, but will face several adjournments in its early stages and may not be completed until March.