Two Southland power companies have been fined more than $70,000 after two workers were burned when the wrong power line was switched off.
The Department of Labour says unclear instructions were given about which 33 kilovolt line was to be disconnected for maintenance in January.
A worker who touched the still-live line received a shock that went through his body into another line, then travelled more than 1km down that line to a second worker.
Both men were treated in hospital for burns.
Electricity network company Powernet Limited and maintenance company Power Services Limited have been ordered to pay combined fines of $72,000 as well as $20,000 in reparation.