The Fire Service and police are investigating a garage fire in which a person died early on Thursday.
Police have cordoned off part of Paihia Road in the suburb of Onehunga while they investigate.
A neighbour told Radio New Zealand that he heard four explosions just before 7am.
Shortly after, he said a fire officer told him to seek medical advice if he felt unwell because of the fumes.
Residents say the Fire Service also set up decontamination showers.
Police are expected to release further details on Thursday afternoon.