A judge has upheld name suppression for a former All Black who has admitted to assaulting a child.
The man in his 40s is due to be sentenced at the Auckland District Court on Tuesday.
In court documents obtained by Radio New Zealand, the man said he was at the end of his tether when he assaulted his 11-year-old son in September last year.
A summary of facts says the man used his belt to strike the boy around the legs and on his shoulders.
On Monday afternoon, Judge Phillipa Sinclair said that the publication of the man's name would immediately and inevitably lead to the identification of the boy.
The judge said high-profile people should not have a presumptive entitlement to name suppression, but the paramount issue is the need to protect the victim.