School authorities say that additional security measures will remain at the Timaru school attended by a nine-year-old boy involved in a suspected abduction.
A 26-year-old man appeared in the Timaru District Court on Wednesday charged over an assault.
He has been remanded in custody for two weeks while a psychiatric report is done on whether he is fit to stand trial on a charge of intent to cause grievous bodily harm. The man has been granted name suppression.
The boy was found - a week earlier on Thursday - in a distressed state with facial injuries, about 15km from his Oceanview Heights school.
He has been recovering in hospital but is expected to soon be discharged.
Principal Jenny Langley says extra security measures at the school will remain for the next few days.
Inspector Dave Gaskin says police arrested the man last night after receiving information from the public.
He says further charges could be laid.