Skip to content.
Updated at 10:04 pm on 28 January 2013
An 11-year-old boy has been flown to Nelson hospital after he was burned when a gas bottle exploded at a barbecue.
The Nelson/Marlborough Rescue Helicopter was called to the Kaiteriteri camping ground about 8.30pm on Monday.
Paramedic Gary Tobin says the boy was wearing a singlet and suffered burns to about 10% of his upper body, including his face, back and arms.
He had been cooking whitebait fritters on the barbecue for his father when the explosion happened.
Mr Tobin says family had cooled the boy's burns for about 20 minutes with water before the helicopter arrived which helped reduce their severity.
Copyright © 2013, Radio New Zealand
Audio is categorised based on the frequency of the programme it was heard in. Click on the headings below to access the programmes. For the most recently published audio, go to the latest audio page.
Streams are in Windows Media format. Mac and Linux users may need to install additional software. Get help with audio
A selection of music interviews, reviews, videos, concerts, sessions, and performances.
Downloads and podcasts are available for selected programmes. Our podcast page has a complete list of feeds.
Help on using online audio: formats, software, podcasts, downloading, and troubleshooting.