13 Mar 2015

Tourist driver charged over death is named

1:59 pm on 13 March 2015

The Chinese tourist charged with the death of a five-year-old Oamaru girl last in a car crash month can now be named.

Chinese tourist Jing Cao. Charged with the death of a five-year-old Oamaru girl. Court appearance 13 March 2015. Solicitor Kane Wang (right) who was there to interpret.

Chinese tourist Jing Cao (left) and solicitor Kane Wang who was there to interpret. Photo: RNZ / Ian Telfer

Jing Cao, 32, appeared for a second time in the Dunedin District Court this morning charged with dangerous driving causing death and five counts of dangerous driving causing injury.

Ruby Marris was killed and her parents and older sisters were seriously injured in the head-on collision near Moeraki on Saturday 21 February.

Mr Cao had previously been given name suppression because he said he feared for his personal safety but that was lifted today.

His lawyer Anne Stevens told the court he was likely plead at his next appearance on 14 April and unlikely to challenge the cause of the crash, though there were still some legal issues to work through.

The 32-year-old was on bail at an address in Auckland.