1 Feb 2016

Wellington cafe catches fire

12:36 pm on 1 February 2016

Staff at a Wellington cafe tried to put out a blaze at a Wellington cafe but realised it was growing out of control, its co-owner says.

no caption

Photo: SUPPLIED / India Lopez

Fire crews were called to the Beach Babylon cafe on Oriental Parade at 9am.

About 40 firefighters were at the site at one stage, before the fire was brought under control.

no caption

The popular cafe is on Wellington's beachside Oriental Parade. Photo: SUPPLIED / India Lopez

Co-owner Simon Holtham said it appeared the fire started behind a plug in the kitchen.

"Not the greatest way to start a Monday morning is it. But all that really matters is everyone's okay.

"Businesses can be replaced and we have insurance."

Fire Service spokesperson Jan Wills said the fire appeared to have started behind the wall near the cafe's stove and moved to the ceiling.

no caption

The scene shortly after 10am. Photo: RNZ / Alexander Robertson

Mr Holtham said there was some damage to the kitchen. "I don't imagine we'll be open tomorrow."


Photo: RNZ / Alexander Robertson