Police say no further action will be taken against the owner of a dog that seriously injured a boy in Ashburton.
The doberman pitbull staffordshire cross bit the three-year-old on the throat as it tried to get a chocolate he was eating.
The attack happened at a family member's home in Ashburton about 12.20pm on Wednesday.
The boy has undergone emergency surgery and remains in a critical but stable condition in Christchurch Hospital on Thursday.
The dog was has been put down at the owner's request.
Police say their inquiries have been completed.
The boy's parents have thanked road workers and St John Ambulance staff first on the scene for helping to save their son's life.