23 Aug 2009

Manchester United and Arsenal in scoring sprees

6:03 am on 23 August 2009

Manchester United made amends for their humbling by Burnley as Wayne Rooney's double and Michael Owen's first goal for the Premier League champions inspired a 5-0 win at Wigan.

Sir Alex Ferguson reacted to Wednesday's shock 1-0 loss at newly-promoted Burnley by making seven changes and the United manager was rewarded with a superb second half display.

It took the revamped United line-up a while to find their rhythm but, after a goalless first half, Rooney struck in the 56th minute when he met a cross from former Wigan winger Antonio Valencia with a perfect header.

That was Rooney's 100th goal for United and it opened the floodgates.

Dimitar Berbatov put United in complete control in the 58th minute, the Bulgarian finishing a flowing move by chipping over Chris Kirkland and shooting into an empty net.

Rooney ended any doubts about the result in the 65th minute when his shot deflected off Mario Melchiot and flashed past the wrong-footed Kirkland.

Owen, signed from Newcastle in the off-season, came off the bench to score for the first time since January with a sublime clipped finish.

Nani, who set up Owen's goal, got on the scoresheet himself in the 90th minute.

Arsenal maintained their impressive start to the season with a 4-1 victory over struggling Portsmouth at the Emirates Stadium.

The Gunners had confounded critics who wrote off their title hopes by thrashing Everton 6-1 last weekend, then winning at Celtic in the Champions League in midweek, but they continued on against Pompey.

Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor repaid another slice of his STG25 million ($A49.57 million) transfer fee as the Togo star's cool finish sealed a 1-0 win over Wolverhampton at Eastlands.

City handed Carlos Tevez his full debut and the former Manchester United forward's cushioned 17th-minute pass picked out Adebayor, who drove in his second goal in two games since joining City from Arsenal.

Trinidad and Tobago forward Kenwyne Jones fired Sunderland to a 2-1 victory over Blackburn.

Sam Allardyce's Rovers took the lead in the 21st minute when French defender Gael Givet smashed a long-range effort past Marton Fulop.

But Sunderland equalised after 32 minutes as Jones took advantage of a slip by Christopher Samba to slot home.

Jones wasn't finished there. In the 53rd minute he met Lee Cattermole's cross with a bullet header to seal the points for Steve Bruce's team.

Hull won the first time in 13 league matches as Algeria striker Kamel Ghilas's first goal for the club earned a 1-0 victory over Bolton at the KC Stadium.

And Stoke recovered from their midweek 4-0 thrashing by Liverpool by grinding out a 0-0 draw at Birmingham.