18 Sep 2009

Renault scandal will not impact Singapore-official

9:23 am on 18 September 2009

Singapore officials are confident the race-fixing scandal surrounding Renault will not impact next week's Formula One grand prix in the Southeast Asian city-state.

Renault will appear before the FIA in Paris on Monday charged with ordering Brazilian Nelson Piquet to crash deliberately in last year's inaugural race in Singapore to help team mate Fernando Alonso win.

Singapore's senior Minister of State for Trade and Industry S. Iswaran says the incident is really about more a particular team's tactics and so on, not a comment about the venue.

Singapore GP executive director Michael Roche says the target of 90 percent ticket sales for the night race has been reached and preparations are well on track.