Hopes that former world tennis number one Justine Henin would make her return from retirement in Auckland have been dashed.
Henin has confirmed she will compete in the Brisbane tournament in the lead-up to the Australian Open rather than the ASB Classic in Auckland.
Tournament organiser Brenda Perry says they only learnt of the decision on Tuesday and it wasn't based on the money.
She says the seven-time grand slam champion opted to play in Brisbane as the tournament there is held on the same surface as is used in Melbourne at the Open, whereas the Auckland hardcourt is slightly different.
Henin retired in May last year, citing a succession of injuries and a desire to live a life away from tennis but announced her comeback last month in the wake of fellow Belgian Kim Clijsters success at the U.S. Open.