15 Feb 2015

Liverpool reach FA Cup last eight

10:12 am on 15 February 2015

Liverpool has claimed a first victory at Crystal Palace in seven attempts to reach English Football's FA Cup quarter-finals, coming from behind to win 2-1 against their Premier League rivals.

Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge celebrates scoring a goal.

Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge celebrates scoring a goal. Photo: PHOTOSPORT

Liverpool's Premier League title challenge ran aground in a 3-3 draw at Palace last season and they lost 3-1 there in November.

Fraizer Campbell's 15th-minute opener for the hosts suggested a similar outcome was in store.

But the half-time introduction of Mario Balotelli tipped the tie in the visitors' favour and after

Daniel Sturridge equalised, Adam Lallana scored in the 58th-minute to give Liverpool a first win at Palace since 1997.

With captain Steven Gerrard and Raheem Sterling injured and young winger Jordon Ibe cup-tied, Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers brought Lallana and Joe Allen into his starting XI.

Palace manager Alan Pardew scored a famous semi-final winner against Liverpool as a player in 1990 and he had another goal against the seven-time winners to celebrate when Campbell broke the deadlock.

Martin Skrtel failed to clear Joe Ledley's lofted pass and although Dwight Gayle's header was blocked by outrushing Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, Campbell found the net with a tidy volley.

But after Balotelli was sent on in place of Markovic to join Sturridge up front, Liverpool took control.

Sturridge equalised in the 49th minute, slamming a back-post volley between Speroni's legs from Henderson's clever pass, before Lallana scored the winner after Speroni could only parry Balotelli's fierce free-kick.

Earlier, Norway striker Josh King scored a hat-trick as second-tier Blackburn Rovers reached the last eight by coming from behind to beat 10-man Stoke City 4-1 at Ewood Park.

Asked if his side could go on and claim a first FA Cup trophy since 1928, victorious manager Gary Bowyer joked: "Do me a favour, I've just finished this game!

"We are just delighted to be in the next round. We would love another home tie and then we will go from there."

Forward Brown Ideye continued his fine recent form by scoring twice as West Bromwich Albion beat a woeful West Ham United 4-0 at The Hawthorns to also reach the quarter-finals.

The Nigeria striker, West Brom's 20 million dollar record signing, scored either side of a 25-yard strike from James Morrison to take his tally to four goals in three games.

West Ham substitute Morgan Amalfitano was sent off after shoving Chris Brunt in the face and Saido Berahino added a fourth to rubber-stamp West Brom's progress to the quarter-finals for the first time since 2008.

"Brown Ideye was fantastic," West Brom manager Tony Pulis said.

"He is scoring goals and that takes the weight off your shoulders, and he looks a good player."

Reading also booked a sixth-round berth with a 2-1 win at fellow Championship side Derby County, which came courtesy of a late strike by former Portsmouth, Middlesbrough and Everton striker Yakubu.

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs

We have regular online commentary of local and international sport.