12 Jun 2015

McClaren takes over at Newcastle

12:00 pm on 12 June 2015

The former England football manager Steve McClaren has been appointed Newcastle United's new head coach, after the club earlier said interim boss John Carver and his assistant Steve Stone had left.

The English football manager Steve McClaren.

The English football manager Steve McClaren. Photo: PHOTOSPORT

The 54-year-old McClaren, who was in charge of Newcastle's north-east rivals Middlesbrough from 2001-06 before taking over as England boss, has agreed an initial three-year deal that could be extended to eight.

In a statement McClaren says he's privileged to be appointed head coach of Newcastle United, St James' Park is like a cathedral on a Saturday afternoon, a symbol for the city and he's excited to be given this opportunity.

McClaren faces a major rebuilding job at a club that narrowly avoided relegation from the Premier League after a dreadful second half of the season.

Manchester City's Under-21 squad manager Patrick Vieira had also been in the running for the role at St James' Park.

Newcastle's last major trophy was the 1955 FA Cup and McClaren says his priority is to win silverware.

McClaren managed England from 2006 to 2007 and also had spells in charge of Middlesbrough, Nottingham Forest, German side Wolfsburg and Dutch club Twente.

He was appointed Derby coach in September 2013 and led the Rams to the Championship playoff final in 2014.

Derby were among the favourites for promotion last season but finished eighth.

Long-serving assistant coach Carver was handed the reins at the turn of the year following Alan Pardew's move to Crystal Palace, but the team won only three games under his stewardship.

Despite keeping Newcastle in the top flight, Carver's long association with the club still ended.

Stone, a former England international, had been a coach at the club since 2010.

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs

We have regular online commentary of local and international sport.