20 Jul 2011

Police changes will not harm Games security

1:20 pm on 20 July 2011

Britain's Olympic minister says security planning for next summer's Games will not be disrupted by this week's resignations by London's two top policeman over the phone-hacking scandal engulfing the now defunct News of the World.

Britain's most senior policeman Commissioner Paul Stephenson resigned on Monday in the face of allegations that police officers had accepted money from the paper and had not done enough to investigate hacking charges that surfaced as far back as 2005.

Within 24 hours, Britain's most senior counter-terrorism officer - Assistant Commissioner John Yates - also quit, throwing London police into chaos a year before the 2012 Olympics.

But Sports and Olympics minister Hugh Robertson says he's "absolutely happy" security planning is where it ought to be and that a new commissioner will not alter plans.

He says said security planners will continue to work towards a severe threat level from international terrorists, despite it being downgraded a notch last week.