The players union is set to fight any case on behalf of Socceroo Jason Culina, who was part of a double axing by his Australan club on Tuesday.
Culina is said to be shocked and disappointed by Newcastle Jets' wish to tear up his A-League contract.
The club sacked his father - coach Branko Culina - and also served notice they wanted to rip up Jason's three-year deal worth at least $3 million, after he was last week ruled out for the season.
Jason has not played for the club since he moved to the Jets from Gold Coast in the off-season, he had struggled with a knee injury late last season.
But his latest setback and surgery on the eve of this season has prompted Newcastle to take the most drastic of actions.
In a statement the Jets suggested the 31-year-old could take up to three years before he could play again.
The Professional Footballers Australia boss says injury is no basis for contract termination.
The matter is now set to go to the National Dispute Resolution Chamber, which makes binding decisions over contract disputes between clubs and players.