4 Jan 2012

David Beckham says no to Paris move

6:14 am on 4 January 2012

Leonardo, the sporting director of Paris Saint-Germain, says the former England and Manchester United star David Beckham will not join for the French football club for family reasons.

Leonardo says the 36-year-old decided not to relocate from Los Angeles to the French capital.

The announcement brings to an end months of speculation linking Beckham, whose contract with Los Angeles Galaxy finished on New Year's Eve with a transfer to PSG, which on Friday named Italian Carlo Ancelotti as new coach.

Following the close-season purchase of the club by wealthy investors Qatar Sports Investments (QSI), headed by the crown prince, rumours had been rife in the French press that the deal was as good as done.

But other sources close to Beckham had long kept their distance.