8 Jan 2012

WBA order rematch of Khan-Peterson world title fight

10:17 am on 8 January 2012

The promotor of British boxer Amir Khan says the WBA had informed him it will order a rematch with American Lamont Peterson following the Brit's controversial defeat on a split decision in their world title fight in Washington last month.

Khan, who lost his WBA super-lightweight and IBF light-welterweight crowns, had questioned the appearance of a mystery man at ringside with Khan's camp accusing him of "interfering" with the scorecards belonging to the judges.

Golden Boy Promotions chief executive Richard Schaefer says they've been told by the WBA that they will order a rematch.

Schaefer also says the unidentified man was an IBF official named Mustafa Ameen.

He says the ruling of the WBA to order an immediate rematch should put additional pressures on the IBF.

Khan's camp had already lodged an appeal against the result with a decision expected later this month.

The IBF has declined to comment until after the January 18 appeal hearing.