Governor General Lieutenant General Sir Jerry Mateparae will open Kaitaia's new Te Ahu Civic Centre on 28 April, by cutting a ribbon created by Te Rarawa weavers for the occasion.
Because the day marks the anniversary of the signing of the Treaty in Kaitaia in 1840, schools from all over Te Hiku o te Ika will take part in the ceremony.
The opening will include a salute from three cannons, similar to ones used at the battles of Ruapekapeka Pa in Northland in 1846 and Gate Pa in Bay of Plenty in 1864.
Te Ahu Civic Centre provides space for Kaitaia's library, museum, council offices and a visitors centre. The project is drawing praise for its imposing design and use of Maori design elements.