7 Jun 2013

Maori Trustee gets makeover

8:49 pm on 7 June 2013

The Maori Trustee says its new brand, Te Tumu Paeroa, marks a new era for the organisation which has operated for 90 years.

The body - a landlord for Maori land - has launched the new brand after spending 18 months developing a strategy to mobilise Maori land and assets.

Only 20% of the one million hectares of Maori land is well-developed and it is estimated that bringing the remaining 80% up to scratch would generate $8 billion.

Jamie Tuuta from the Trustee says it is time for this generation to put a stake in the ground and confront the challenges that face Maori land development.

He says his team is well-positioned to find solutions to do so, and will be holding twelve hui around the country to inform landowners of its new vision.

The organisation manages land on behalf of more than 95,000 people.