The White House has confirmed the United States will not proceed with planned food aid to North Korea.
This follows the unsuccessful launch of a long-range missile on Friday morning, which Washington had previously warned would have consequences.
In February, North Korea agreed to a partial freeze in nuclear activities and a missile test moratorium in return for US food.
Washington suspended the deal when the missile launch was announced last month.
The United States sent 169,000 metric tonnes of food aid to North Korea in 2008.
The UN Security Council said Friday's rocket launch was in breach of UNSC resolutions 1718 and 1874.
North Korea fired the Unha-3 rocket around 07.40am local time on Friday.
It disintegrated after a minute or two, falling into the sea 165km west of the South Korean capital, Seoul.
The White House National Security Council said additional sanctions would be looked at if Pyongyang continued its "provocations".