Amanda Knox, who was convicted and then cleared of murdering her British flatmate Meredith Kercher, says she may return to Italy to face a retrial.
"My lawyers have said that I don't have to ... I'm still considering it, to be honest," she told USA Today.
The BBC reports the 25-year-old is publicly protesting her innocence on television in the United States as she releases her autobiography.
Last month, an Italian court overturned her acquittal along with that of her ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito.
Meredith Kercher, 21, was stabbed to death in the flat she shared with Ms Knox - an exchange student - in Perugia on 1 November 2007.
Prosecutors said she died in a brutal sex game that went wrong.
Another man - Rudy Guede from Ivory Coast - was convicted in a separate trial and sentenced to 16 years for the killing.
Ms Knox told USA Today on Tuesday that the thought of returning to Italy for the retrial was "scary".
"But it's also important for me to say: 'This is not just happening far away from and doesn't matter to me.'
"So, somehow, I feel it's important for me to convey that. And if my presence is what is necessary to convey that, then I'll go."
In a reference to the Kercher family, Ms Knox said she hoped "that eventually I can have their permission to pay respects at her grave".
The BBC reports the interview was timed to coincide with the release of Ms Knox's autobiography, Waiting to Be Heard, for which she was reportedly paid more than $US4 million.