29 May 2013

Machete attack suspect leaves hospital

6:50 am on 29 May 2013

One of the two suspects in the killing of a British soldier on a London street has been discharged from hospital and moved into custody in a south London police station.

Michael Adebowale, 22, was separately arrested on suspicion of the attempted murder of a police officer, the BBC reports.

Police said he will be interviewed by the Met Counter Terrorism Command.

Lee Rigby 25, of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, was run over and then attacked with machetes in Woolwich, south-east London on Wednesday .

Witnesses have said Drummer Rigby was repeatedly stabbed in the street by two men.

Mr Adebowale, from south-east London, and Michael Adebolajo, 28, were shot and injured by police at the scene near Woolwich Barracks. They have been under police guard in hospital.

The family of Mr Adebolajo, have expressed "horror" at the killing.

Both men are Britons of Nigerian descent who are understood to be converts to Islam.

Of the eight other people arrested in connection with the attack so far, five have been bailed and two released without charge. Police are continuing to hold a 50-year-old man on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder.