3 Jul 2016

Thousands "march for Europe" in London

5:01 pm on 3 July 2016

Thousands of people have marched through London to protest against the referendum decision to leave the EU.

Marchers wave EU flags in London's Parliament Square as thousands protest against Britain's vote to leave the union.

Marchers wave EU flags in London's Parliament Square as thousands protest against Britain's vote to leave the union. Photo: AFP

Demonstrators at the "March for Europe" rally, which was organised on social media, held placards saying "Bremain" and "We Love EU".

In the referendum on 23 June the UK voted to leave the EU, with 51.9 percent in favour of leaving and 48.1 percent supporting Remain.

Critics said that those protesting were "having a tantrum".

Demonstrators gathered around Park Lane before setting off for Parliament Square. A rally also took place in York.

An organiser of the London march, Keiran MacDermott, said protesters hoped to stop the government from triggering Article 50, which begins the formal process of the UK's withdrawal from the EU.

Fellow organiser Mark Thomas, an activist, said he felt "anger, frustration" and a "need to do something".

The demonstrators marched through central London to a rally outside Parliament.

While Brexit won an overall majority in last week's referendum, London voters strongly supported the Remain campaign, and some want another referendum.

-BBC

Get the new RNZ app

for ad-free news and current affairs