23 Sep 2008

Kidnap negotiations continue

9:48 am on 23 September 2008

An Egyptian cabinet spokesperson says negotiations to free 19 hostages seized in Egypt on Friday were continuing and it was premature to say they had been released.

Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit earlier said the hostages had been freed and were safe and sound.

Security sources earlier said the kidnappers asked for $US6 million to free the hostages - identified as five Italians, five Germans, a Romanian and eight Egyptian guides and drivers.