The Taliban says it was behind an attack on NATO's main base in Kandahar in southern Afghanistan.
NATO said there were no fatalities in the attack, which began around 8pm on Saturday (local time).
It was the third attack on international forces in five days after a suicide attack in the capital on Tuesday and an attack on Bagram airfield, about 60km north of Kabul, the following day.
NATO says seven hours of fighting at Bagram resulted in the deaths of an American contract worker and 16 Taliban. Nine NATO soldiers were wounded.
Earlier this month the Taliban announced a new nationwide campaign of attacks in Afghanistan, against diplomats, parliamentarians and foreign contractors, as well as foreign forces.
There are 130,000 troops in Afghanistan under US and NATO command.
The number is set to rise to 150,000 by August.