23 Nov 2010

Qantas set to resume some Airbus flights

4:04 pm on 23 November 2010

Qantas is to resume some Airbus A380 flights on Saturday after checking the engines on its fleet of the superjumbos.

The Australian airline grounded its A380 fleet after a Rolls-Royce engine on one of the planes exploded in mid-air over Indonesia earlier in November.

The first flight on Saturday will be QF31 from Sydney to London via Singapore, the ABC reports.

Qantas chief executive Alan Joyce said the decision had been made after an intensive engine inspection programme carried out with Airbus and Rolls-Royce.

Qantas said it would initially operate only one A380 on routes between Australia and Britain and the aircraft's engines would be run at below full power until further notice

Rupture a 'one-off'

Australian transport safety investigators say the rupturing of an oxygen cylinder on a Qantas jet two years ago was a unique event.

The Boeing 747 flight from Hong Kong to Melbourne in July 2008 was forced to make an emergency landing at Manila airport after the explosion blew a hole in the plane's fuselage.

None of the 369 passengers and crew was injured.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau says it cannot find any fault with the design of the cylinders and such an accident is highly unlikely to happen again.